I suddenly realized it's been a while, and went in the kitchen to see flames a foot high and a room full of thick smoke. I stood there with a glass of water screaming for Retro Man, who from a dead sleep ran down the stairs, unplugged it, grabbed oven mitts, and took it outside.
So many lessons:
- Marry someone smarter than you
- Never leave your toaster oven unattended
- Chinese smoke detectors aren't worth shit, so get a new detector every year not just a new battery
- Replace your toaster oven more often than every 15 years
- Clean the pan in your toaster oven more often than every 6 months
- Make sure you know where your fire extinguisher is
- Get one for your kitchen if you don't have one
- Know how to use it
- Periodically shake the fire extinguisher, as the contents can cake up rendering it useless if you need it
- Don't put your toaster oven directly under kitchen cabinets
- Just laugh when people make fun of your ineptitude in the kitchen
At least I didn't throw the glass full of water into a plugged-in/stuck-in-the-on-position appliance engulfed in a grease fire.
Just waiting for the smoke to clear.
This blog is worthless without pictures.
On a positive note, it only took me one second to realize getting a picture of the flames was out of the question.